Friday, December 20, 2013

Flick Pick: Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins
(Disney, 1964)

Everything in this story has happened before, and will happen again, but it was when Mary Poppins floated in on an east wind in 1964 that will be remembered the longest. Quite possibly the finest movie Walt Disney ever made, garnering universal acclaim and a record 13 Oscar nominations, while winning 5, including Best Actress for Julie Andrews in her first film role, who was practically perfect in every way. Movie magic this wonderful is far too rare, and like Dick Van Dyke's Bert wishes about Mary, we only wish it wouldn't stay away so long between visits.

1 comment:

Mike said...

This may have been the first film I ever saw. I remember my mother taking me on the bus to downtown Portland to the theater to see this on my birthday. It still is one of my favorites, and one of my children's favorites too.